Tuesday 8 March 2011

Religion, the church and conversions

 It is unbelievable how ingrained the church is in everything out here!! We got introduced to the entire student body at the institute during assembly today … just after, as we sat down, a priest came in .. and they almost had a semi-mass there.. with singing and dancing and praise :O

So far, I had thought it was just the people who were religious and had close ties to the church.. so when they were trying to get a projector, they would ask the church, when listening to music.. it would be churchish..   and that was understandable.. given it's a government institute, I do not expect staff to be radical .. but, religion and education mixed together.. at a govt schools.. gosh, that does take me by surprise.


In fact, this was noticed by many of us which led to subsequent team discussions on various religions, their principles and beliefs.. yes, I did lead it for hinduism.. and it was hilarious that by the end of it, our team member from US got up and said, I have to tell my mom - I finally figured it out - I'm not episcapalean, I'm a hindu :) If there was a concept of conversion into hinduism, I think I just had my first successful one ;)

Religious Prayer at School Assembly

No comments: